Friday, July 08, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

Well, we finally watched the movie Hotel Rwanda.

Find out more here

WOW! What can I say? I was shocked, moved, disturbed, amazed and sparked.

The events that took place are absolutely insane :(

The genocide, and the apathy, and the heroism and quick thinking of Paul Rusesabagina ...... it's hard to imagine that it is real.

You MUST watch this film! Do not watch it if you are feeling depressed, wait until you are best equiped to handle the images and events. And if you watch this film and feel absolutely nothing for these people.... then you should seek some kind of empathy training.

I am left with many feelings about the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.... feelings that I am having a hard time sorting out. I want to scream at the people who felt nothing, did nothing and allowed it come full circle. I am sickened that so many with the ability to help wiped their hands of it as if they did not deserve the same respect of life given to others, such as us Americans. I can't believe that the whole thing couldn't have been averted by some kind of compromise. And I am left wondering...how DOES one effectively deal with genocide without using death and violence to squash the other side? There is NO excuse for not having rescued refugees and transporting them to a safer location. The whole thing was brought about by lack of respect for life. Oppression in this world MUST end! Whether it's between countries, or between countrymen..... something HAS to give!

This sort of thing is going to become all too common in the decades to come if nothing is done now to start moving towards a better world. One of equality, mutual respect and recognized value of ALL human life.

A personal note **** I am only 28, but I feel as if I have already spent too much of my life living in the dark. I strive to raise my children to pay attention to the things that I myself never bothered myself with when I was young. Only then do I feel that they will truly feel the want to do something with their lives to help change the world for the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home